Business Advantages of investing in Responsive Web Design
27 June 2018
According to “Our Mobile Planet”, a Google Mobile Research, merely 15% of internet users are satisfied with the user experience of the mobile web. Even though share of mobile in the internet traffic has grown at the rate of 163% since 2010, many companies still need to work on their responsive web design strategy. This is because responsive design will not only help them come closer to their target visitors but also give them an opportunity to increase sales.
So what exactly is responsive web designing? It is a web design and development technique that optimises a user’s browsing experience through the creation of a flexible and responsive web page. Through this technique, the site reacts to the size of the user’s screen, be it a tablet, laptop or smart phone. This form of web designing has ensured ease of reading and navigation with a minimum need for panning, resizing and scrolling on different screen sizes. Considering the fact that more searches take place on mobile devices than on desktops, responsive web designing has become a necessity.
The driving force behind responsive web design technique has been the increase in use of the internet and proliferation of web apps on tablets and mobile devices.
Here are some of the advantages that a business can enjoy by investing in responsive web design:
1. It will increase the reach of the brand to tablet and mobile phone users. With a unified design approach, the look and feel of the site will remain consistent on all devices, ensuring an improved site experience. This consistency will have a significant impact on conversion rate for the business.
2. Having a responsive website will give your business a competitive edge because not many businesses have one. If you are a business with a site that customers like to access on their devices with ease, then it will help you in expanding your customer base and increasing sales.
3. If your competitor doesn’t have a responsive website, then you should become an early adopter and attract those customers before anyone else does. Also, creation of a responsive website takes less time compared to the creation of an additional stand-alone mobile site which saves you money.
4. Maintenance of the website becomes a cakewalk because there is no need to have multiple versions of a website to fit different screen sizes. By having just one site, one updation will cascade across all device types. Responsive websites easily adapt to the format they are being viewed on, bringing down the hassles of updation and maintenance of multiple versions. You can save a lot of time and money because there will be no need to track multiple versions of the website in Google analytics.
5. It was announced by Google in 2015 that responsive web design will be affecting search rankings on mobile devices. If you want your website to rank high in search engine results, then you will have to invest in good SEO. Search engine optimisation is critical for bringing in quality traffic to the site and with a responsive one, you can do it in a better manner. If your website is responsive, Google will easily index it to show it up near the top, irrespective of the format the user is searching from.